Monday, November 5, 2007

Markets yesterday


Yesterday we did a market in the north shore of Sydney, which was a very long day for us mountain folk, starting at 4:30am! Sadly, it was a bad market day for us, with only enough sales to pay the stallholder fee back (just)... of course this excluded all the delicious food we ate, especially the japanese pancakes!

Its very hard to find the right fit for your product in markets but I am determined to find out the place to be. I had the impression that this market was high-end but was getting rather annoyed at people reacting to $50 - $100 price tags. One lady was very dramatic and dropped the bag and threw her hands out to the sides while gasping rather loudly. I was ready to ask her to leave... in a not very nice way!

Anyway, this blog is not to bitch about it, but that I feel sad that people do not understand that markets do not equal bargain. All stallholders are there to earn money and we have all been busy working 7 days a week to get it there to the public!

I also had some lovely comments from people on the work in my bags and the lovely finishing. This is very much appreciated when you have not had much interest all morning, your eyes are hanging out of your head from driving 1.5 hours to the market, and you are ready to go!

Thank you to everyone that came especially to say hi. Friends and family showed up but also lovely people that had seen from my website that I was going to be there.

Here are some photos...



6 comments:

Belinda said...

I glad I'm not the only one. Markets are a tough gig, you really don't know before you set out what sort of day your going to have. I've only done Kirribilli so far, the first month was great sold 8 cushions. The next month I only sold 1. I've had the same reaction with my prices. Which is surprising since I've priced just over my wholesale. Since, my stockist are mostly interstate. If only they realised they would be buying the same cushion for double the price, if they brought it from a brick and mortar store.

There seems to be the misconception that you go to the markets to get a bargain. Rather than something truely unique and one of a kind. I've been giving some thought to hope st or young blood, maybe in the new year.

Kara said...

Thanks Belinda - glad its not just me!!! Hope St would be good for you. I was wondering about Kirribilli or Mosman...

K

Belinda said...

I would like to give Mosman a go, but I believe it's hard to get in. At least at Mosman everything has to be handcrafted, so people expect to spend a little more. I would also consider Kirribilli, it's fairly easy to get in and the stall fee is quite reasonable. There isn't anyone doing bags, that I know. I didn't think much of the art & design it's very ordinary. It doesn't draw the crowds like the Saturday market. One thing I've noticed about Kirribilli is the number of people selling recycled clothing. The southern end is normally packed with people selling off their wardrobe or vintage finds. So you could find you have the right sort of customers at Kirribilli. People in the know get there early, there is always a hub of activity down that end of the market first thing. Then they tend to filter down through the rest of the stalls.
I actually have one of your clutches I won it through Made it!

Vanessa said...

I do markets on the Gold Coast and my question to market goers is,"If you can't say anything nice, why say anything at all? Just keep walking, isn't that enough said? Some people really appreciate all our hard work and effort, they really get it. To the others I say, if you want a $15 handbag go to Kmart and get one made in China! Hang in there girls. Kara your web site is great and I'm sure the right customers will find you.

laura said...

Hi kara,
Love your work, go on!!Iam new to this whole' blogger writing',just made one myself.

Kara said...

Thanks guys! I feel so much better! I agree with you Vanessa, there is so much imported junk - why don't people just stick to Westfield Shopping Centres!

Just looking into Mosman Markets now.