Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Zombie movies


Last night we went to see 'I Am Legend' at the movies.

This could have been such a great film except for the really crap zombie vampires! The story is so strong, focusing on loneliness and lost with the main character being a lone survivor in NYC. The streets are overgrown, deer run through the city amongst the dereliction and eery quiet.

But the zombies, the zombies. These are so crap - sort of pumped up muscular special effects dudes that are not scarey at all. It sort of becomes a typical hero movie rather than something really terrifing.

I'm no expert on zombies. Steven came home one weekend with an ARMFUL of good zombie movies, to which I sniffed and said I wouldn't be interested. Well, wasn't I wrong! It was fantastic. 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, Return of the Living Dead, etc etc... I loved 'Dawn of the Dead' and it still freaks me out a little! '28 Days Later' is brilliant and I think 'I am Legend' should have gone a little more down that path.

I wish someone would do a good 'Day of the Triffids'...

28 Days Later movie
Starts very much like 'Day of the Triffids'

No comments: