Last night I made a lasagna and it got the thumbs up from Steven. I am a stirfry, one-pot kinda girl so this required energy. I'm terrified of making bechamel sauce as it can go lumpy but it all worked!!! Steven has taken the leftovers to work so must have been ok.
It has been raining steadily since late yesterday with thunder rippling every so often. Do you turn everything off or only when there is a big bang right near you? It's not very convenient when you need the computer, overlocker and sewing machine!
Today and tomorrow: 2 clutches to be made to show a potential client on Friday, 1 Eunice handbag for another customer and get ready to head down to Sydney for Friday. Angela is coming over today for lunch and delivering treats. So better get on to it!
This weekend my grandmother, 82, is unveiling her 'Memories' (memoires) for all the family of her youth in California. I have put this epic together for her - its about 140 pages with fabulous old photos. We have family flying in and she will be putting on a big lunch on Sunday to give it out. So I am going to head down Friday night to see everyone and spend a couple of days with them. My sister Ingrid and Justin are going to see 'Ween' so Mum and I get to mind Eli (14 months) who is the cutest little sweetheart in the world!
Better get going... but Kathleen has thrown this doozy my way so I will do it and taunt the next 7 people with it... hee hee!
7 weird things you don't know about me
The rules are:
1. Link back to the person who tagged you
2. Post "The Rules" on your blog
3. Post 7 weird or random facts about yourself on your blog
4. Tag seven people and link to them
5. Comment on their blogs to let them know they have been 'tagged'
1. I was born with a birthmark right in the indent of my top lip. This was sort of a blood blister style birthmark and apparently as a wee one I would say to people, "what are you staring a
t"? This eventually dried up and faded. It now looks like someone took a cigarette to my lip and burnt it though it's hardly noticeable.
2. I failed sewing/domestic science at high school. We had a weird teacher who said, "Don't throw out old t-shirts girls, you can re-fashion them into underpants". It was horrible...
3. I am a descendant of General Wade Hampton III (1818-1902), one of the wealthiest landowner (and slaveowner which seems inconceivable in today's world) families in South Carolina (on my maternal grandmother's side). He was a Confederate cavalry leader during the American Civil war and afterwards a politician in South Carolina, representing it as governor and US Senator.
"Millwood Ruins", Wade Hampton Plantation. Burned Feb 17th, 1865.
Unfortunately we are not some wealthy family! As you can see, the Plantation was burned down and I believe these columns are all that stand on the property. One day I would like to go and visit there as there are many Hamptons in the area still. My grandmother recently sold surviving cultery and silverware back to a Museum in South Carolina where it is on display.
In the famous book, "Gone with the Wind", Scarlett O'Hara's first husband, Charles Hamilton, serves in Wade Hampton's regiment, dying of measles only seven weeks later. As it was fashionable (according to writer Margaret Mitchell) to name baby boys after their fathers' commanding officers, Scarlett's son by Charles is therefore named Wade Hampton Hamilton.
4. I was once married and now divorced. Steven and I have been good friends for years and I am lucky he was still around and still single!
5. I hate washing pans and will leave them soaking or sitting on the stove rather than doing them.
6. I talk in my sleep and yell out at imaginary people. Often it's a scary man in the corner that I am yelling out that turns out to be a lump of clothes piled up. Steven has stopped reacting to it.
7. Apparently, 'Smith' is not my real surname. A couple of generations ago on my father's side, my great grandfather was a bit of a trouble-maker down at Wooloomooloo. The police used to pull him up and 'Smith' was the name he used. I have been told that it could have been a german name originally.