Saturday, March 22, 2008

Melbourne : Friday


Today was spent visiting old friends and meeting new. First caught up with Kirk, then Tadhg at his great second hand bookstore, 'Fully Booked', in Thornbury, where we bought up big. These books are so reasonably priced and there is a great selection. Oh, if anyone see's them, I'm looking for a copy of Cormac McCarthy's "The Road" and "I Am Legend" by Richard Matheson.


This bookstore is such an inspiration to us as its been started from nothing (like my business) and is done on a budget but has its own edge. These guys live on a shoestring space-wise, but it shows if you want it, you can do it! The rents here in Melbourne are so much more reasonable than Sydney and if I can ever do it, I reckon a shop in Melbourne could be a future development.

Lunch was The Vegie Bar, a fab vegetarian joint in Fitzroy - I can highly recommend their Italiano pizza (with yummy baked pumpkin) with a glass of white wine... mmm... Steven had a vego burrito which I stole all the guacomole from (nice and low fat).

This afternoon I caught up with the lovely Peta Pledger, who makes divine retro dresses and shirts. I will get something made one day! She's measured me up and knows all the tricks and best ways to flatter figures. All handmade by her and I must say, she finishes them so beautifully. Another way to buy beautiful Australian-made clothes.

Tomorrow is Rose Street Market - so hoping there is a good response. Fitzroy is so00 happening! Love it!

3 comments:

magikquilter said...

Hi guys just a heads up as know Kara is busy with the markets....cannot believe I was so stupid but I clicked on the first comment and something said I had a virus and it tried to upload a file or two but my son said it was a scam trying to sell the spyware protection. The buggers... ...nearly had a heart attack lesson learned ....have a coffee and wake up before going online. Kara is having way too much fun in Melbourne makes me want to move there!

Arthur's Circus said...

Good to hear you're having fun in Melbourne...our shop may not be open when you're free, but ring or email us and we can open.

Kara said...

Hi there,

I heard all the shops are pretty much closed in Melb while we are here. Busy today (Sunday) and leaving first thing tomorrow morning.

Rose Street Markets went ok so I will be back though!

K