Sunday, April 20, 2008

Your local corner store - the W-shopping nightmare

I'm happy. I got two pairs of great pants today - new, not my usual secondhand.

We went to Parramatta W-shopping nightmare today which is a big trip from the Mountains. It's getting so cold here and my usual jeans and tracky dacks are looking pretty bad and I wanted trousers! I got a pair at DJ's, black Table Eight reduced to $36 from $119.95 and a pair from Sussan for $29.95 reduced from $79.95. As you can tell, I still don't like to buy retail and LOVE a bargain. Both are great and fit perfectly which always amazes me.

As I get towards W-shopping nightmare, a strange buzz comes over me. They are the scariest places in the world, controlling all consumers on what they wear, eat, sleep in, etc and are so so dull and boring. There is never a quirky interesting store, and you know that if you go down to the next W (usually the next suburb or two away) they will have the same old shit there too. But back to the buzz, I can feel the frenzy - 'it's new, it's on sale. it's something you don't have, use your credit card'! Frightening...

It really is best I stay in the Mountains.

4 comments:

Hayley Lau said...

Hey Kara, I'm Hayley, heidiandseek from made it.

I feel the same way about Westfields. I grew up not really knowing there were places to shop other than shopping centres, and it makes me sad to think about all the money I wasted on mass-produced junk!

Kara said...

Wouldn't it be great if there was a huge shopping centre that was filled with unusual designers doing their own thing? Of course, it would NOT be in every suburb...!

magikquilter said...

Does this mean you have new credit cards after the robbery?

I quite like Westfields...great coffee places and plenty of loos and window shopping and all indoors no running from one end of town to the other. Just love Hugo Boss womens wear and Ralf Lauren in winter for all the fairisle scarves and sweaters...feel like you get a taste of the world there not just Australia.

The other end of the shopping spectrum is I guess the markets and if more of those had shelter from the elements, areas for the more frail [stupid knees] to sit to rest and better toilet facilities I might go more often. However I wouldn't want to be in an indoor market on a lovely sunny day so maybe they just need alternative venues for foul weather, tall order I know. The Spring Street Markets are inside Paddington Town Hall aren't they this time, looking forward to that.

Kara said...

Yes, new card!

You will love the Hope Street Markets now they will be in at Paddo town hall (May 17-18) as the facilites should be good. I am interested to see what its going to be like at The Rocks Market later this year if they keep the sails up.