Monday, June 9, 2008

Classics

I do love classic stuff rather than the new... (oh, but I did enjoy The Notorious Bettie Page on foxtel the other day, even though its set back in the 50's). 


Last night I finished reading Peyton Place, by Grace Metalious, a classic that I had always wanted to read and found it in the library. 

Such a scandalous book in its time (written 1956) and apparently selling 60,000 copies within the first 10 days of its release! It is pretty racy and covers all kinds of subjects including incest, abortion, adultery, lust and murder - it would make some of today's books seem tame. It's a great read and hard to put down...


I managed to watch Midnight Cowboy (1969) on Saturday on Foxtel. This is another classic I'd always wanted to see - don't you hate it when you miss out on these classics, then every time they come on tv everyone else says, "Oh I've seen that" so you never get to watch it!

This movie really struck me and I keep thinking about it, especially the soundtrack. I hadn't even realised it was about a male prostitute and his sickly friend in the mean streets of NYC. Jon Voight and Dustin Hoffman just show again what fantastic actors they are.

So I think I need to continue watching and reading these classics as I get such joy from them. It's been a lovely slow long weekend (no work!).

No comments: