Monday, July 7, 2008

Online business

I have been told by many businesses to not take on retail space for as long as I possibly can. It's long hours in one space,  hard to sew and impossible to get to the designer markets I do every month or so. 

But... an online business is also hard. I have realistically looked at my hours spent per week over the past year and its about 12 hours, 7 days a week! People buy online at any time of the day or night, on any given day. The luxury of buying online means that you can expect a reply fairly quickly and I always feel guilty if I'm out and about on the weekend, then want to rush home to check emails and sales. Of course, I am still in my first year of business full-time (I think it's August last year that I started... hmmm) so hopefully it gets easier. Certainly having someone to help sew makes a WORLD of difference!


This is my work yesterday. It doesn't look like much, and I can't get all the fabric I have onto shelves (there are 2 massive boxes out of this picture). I wanted to sort out everything as the fabric always overwhelms me every so often. It is fun rediscovering fabric I didn't know I had or had forgotten. Anyway, pulling everything out on the floor and starting again took all day yesterday, but now I feel like I know what's what.

I just don't have enough room for everything and Steven keeps telling me, "you have to work with what you've got". Jeez... I'd love a warehouse!

And finally...

I just spotted this swing tag by 'Do It Baby' on the Living Creatively website (article on Design-A-Space in Melbourne). This tag is fantastic and had me laughing straight away - most of us indie designers aren't so out there and 'in your face' so I just think this is great...

5 comments:

Bec said...

HA HA, yes that tag is great!!! Wow, that's a great stash you've got there. I can see how all that fabric could get a little overwhelming at times :) And boy, that is one hell of a lot of hours you're putting in there. I hope you are remembering to look after yourself too - easier said than done I know :)
Cheers, Bec.

Kara said...

Yes, trying to look after myself too! I'm sure its all going to change a little come next year with the baby.

Arthur's Circus said...

I have to agree, wait on the retail space, unless you can afford to pay to have someone sit the space it can be a little restricting to say the least...I could go on.
And your bag arrived today, it is so very ace, I LOVE IT.

Kara said...

Thanks Nat, I love Acorn Annie as well so hope you have lots of trips out with her. Its great fabric!

Sue said...

Hi Kara, there is so many more expenses to think about with a retail space!
I think there is alot more flexibility with the web, though Im not putting in 12 hours, 7 days.You will need flexibility when the bub comes!
I have the same problem with fabric, I think it spreads like a virus! I have 8 suitcases full!
Sue