Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Prince and other secret loves...


I have uploaded more clutches today. Five new designs were finished but needed lovely details like buttons sewn on. Anyway, check 'em out.

High on sugar... Kelli, who I used to work with at See-Saw (graphic design) in Bris-Vegas, sent a HUGE bag of sweets to me for my birthday. Opened the bag today and haven't stopped. I know I am a wine gum addict. But why are they called wine gums?


I am listening to Prince right now. He is one of my secret loves music-wise, just timeless. I just found this pic on the net and thought, yep, that sums him up. Isn't it hysterical?!


My favourite track is Rasberry Beret (1985). Just love the fiddle and backing vocals which I thought was Sheila E but just checked out that it isn't.

___________________________

Rasberry Beret:

Yeah

I was working part time in a five-and-dime
My boss was Mr. McGee
He told me several times that he didn't like my kind
cause I was a bit 2 leisurely

Seems that I was busy doing something close 2 nothing
But different than the day before
That's when I saw her, ooh, I saw her
She walked in through the out door, out door

She wore a
Raspberry beret
The kind u find in a second hand store
Raspberry beret
And if it was warm she wouldn't wear much more
Raspberry beret
I think I love her

Built like she was
She had the nerve 2 ask me
If I planned 2 do her any harm

So, look here
I put her on the back of my bike
And-a we went riding
Down by old man johnsons farm

I said now, overcast days never turned me on
But something about the clouds and her mixed

She wasn't 2 bright
But I could tell when she kissed me
She knew how 2 get her kicks

She wore a
Raspberry beret
The kind u find in a second hand store
Raspberry beret
And if it was warm she wouldnt wear much more
Raspberry beret
I think I love her

The rain sounds so cool when it hits the barn roof
And the horses wonder who u are
Thunder drowns out what the lightning sees
U feel like a movie star

Listen
They say the first time ain't the greatest
But I tell ya
If I had the chance 2 do it all again

I wouldn't change a stroke
cause baby I'm the most
With a girl as fine as she was then

(raspberry beret)
The kind u find (the kind u find)
The kind u find (in a second hand store)
Oh no no
(raspberry beret)
(and if it was warm)
Where have all the raspberry women gone? (she wouldn't wear much more)
Yeah (raspberry beret)

I think i... I think i... I think I love her

(raspberry beret)
No no no
No no no (the kind u find)
(in a second hand store)
(raspberry beret)
Tell me
Where have all the raspberry women gone? (and if it was warm she)
(wouldnt wear much more)
(raspberry beret)
I think I love...
___________________________

The lyrics are quite ridiculous, but with the track, I think its a winner. I guess I was only 12 years old when I got into it though.

I also still love Kate Bush, Rod Stewart and Fleetwood Mac. It's probably more that this was the stuff we were brought up on. What's your secret love music-wise?

5 comments:

Anna Laura said...

I love love love Kate Bush!

Simone said...

Happy Birthday Kara! Hope your day was lovely! I am a fan of Prince too, I used to make my own purple satin clothes.... what a great look, i hope mum has lost the photos.

Bec said...

He he, that pic of Prince is just too much :P Actually Raspberry Beret is my fav Prince song too, although I remember doing calisthenics routines to some of his other songs when I was in high school. Hmmmm, yes I can agree with Kate Bush - she's just timeless. I must admit that I still have to get up and jump around every time I hear K C and the Sunshine Band's 'Walkin' on Sunshine'. Although I always LOVED Suzi Quatro, and in fact still do, so I guess she would probably be my secret love music-wise. Hope you had a great birthday!

Kara said...

Wasn't it Katrina and the Waves doing 'Walking on Sunshine'? I know KC & The Sunshine Band did 'Live It Up' cos that was on my 'Thru the Roof '83' cassette which my sister and I loved!

Chooks'r'us said...

ah, memories!

...reading Wuthering Heights when I was about 10 and listening to a tape of Kate Bush that my cousin gave me over and over again ("out on the wild and windy moors...").

...my friend Loredana bringing The Lansdowne to a halt with an improvised dance on stage to the same song. Never seen so many boys loose it all at once!

...driving to Melbourne in a bomby old lime green Mazda with a friend singing Fleetwood Mac songs at the top of our voices (her little boy is 11 now!)

...falling in love at art college with "little red corvet" playing in the background...