Monday, August 25, 2008

The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole

What is your favourite book?


Mine is not one but a series of books all based on the same character, and no, its not bloody Harry Potter! It's The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole aged 13 3/4 by Sue Townsend (1982). I remember when it first came out in the 80's - it was such a scream and still is!

From The Secret Diary... to the lastest edition, The Weapons of Mass Destruction, I STILL can't get enough of what happens in Adrian's life. For us little Australians, this taste of English culture was hysterical yet still relevant to our teenage years. He's still going strong and still as awful as ever!

Adrian is a self proclaimed intellectual and poet, who reads voraciously without quite getting it. His jottings in his diary, full of unintentional humour makes me chuckle even now. His working class parents: mother Pauline, a radical feminist and George, his bedraggled, pyjama-pant wearing unemployed father are set so well against his anal retentiveness.

These diaries are masterpieces in comedy but its Townsend's satire that hits on serious issues in time with each book that gets you: Social Security, feminism, sub-culture, nuclear war, racism, treatment of the aged and politics in the UK.

Sharon Botts, famous for being the girl who "will show everything for 50p and a pound of grapes", is set up with Adrian by Nigel, his best friend. This is such a funny scene with Nigel telling Adrian what roller disco kids wear and what Adrian comes up with, only to be unsuccessful with Sharon (for now).

I was trying to work out when the last one was released and how many more years I can expect before the next instalment comes out. I have them all here and love to pick up an old favourite to read when in the bath, sitting out on the verandah with a cup of tea, sick in bed or just wanting a giggle.

Sue Townsend's writing is so very funny and if you aren't interested in a pimply teenaged English kid, then try Ghost Children, Queen Camilla or The Public Confessions of a Middle-Aged Woman (aged 55 3/4).

7 comments:

magikquilter said...

I wanna read them now...what have you done to me .... my shelfari shelf for want of a better term... is overflowing....not to mention our six point two bookcases!!!

Seriously sound like a lot of fun...but that is an oxymoron!

BTW what happened with the comments...you used to moderate them after some rude comments...did you get more?

Kathleen
xxx

Bec said...

Yes Yes Yes!!!!! I still have the Adrian Mole books in my collection - in fact I read the first one again about 6 months ago, and loved it as much as I did when I was 10!!! I loved the letters he wrote to publishers, and his poetry - gold!!! I'd never thought of looking up other books by Sue Townsend though - will have to track them down now :)

Kara said...

Magikquilter:
I am back to moderating but have just a little extra blurb "any offensive comments will be deleted. etc..". Actually, it was after reading your blog, some of the comments, reactions, etc that you went through that I decided to not keep my blog as a 'free for all". I don't want to hurt anyone (via a third part), this blogging is meant to be fun. I haven't had anyone be rude to me but someone else was put down and I published it and responded in a positive light. I just shouldn't have published it!

bec:
Aren't they such great books! You can get most of her books at the library. I just love them all.

CurlyPops said...

I listed that one this week as one of my fave kids books of all time.
When I googled it I found out that there are more books written as Adrain in his 20's and 30's....I have to find them now!

Melanie said...

I used to watch it on the ABC and loved it to bits. I didnt realize it was a book so I might track it down to add to my collection.

magikquilter said...

Wow I have influence in the bloggoshere.....

We do feel it's the blog owner's place to make sure that these things do not occur. The huge drama we had recently would never have happened if that girl had not let our comments through...and then she let us be attacked rather than deal with the issue at hand. We feel she enjoyed the drama and are sorry we played into it now.

Had interesting dialogue today with someone who insulted me on my China ideolologies post...would not have have it if I had deleted it through....so interesting!

Lisa Y said...

Oh yeah, I'm one of those in love with Adrian Mole. I read the first one in the 90s which I found in my family's bookcase. I've never stop loving Adrian since then.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed & hope she's publish more soon!