Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Sex in the City : 1953 style

Tonight is the cocktail party for the Blue Mountains Business Awards finalists. I don't have a thing to wear and will start flinging clothes around today to see what goes still goes around my belly. I bought some new knee-high buff coloured boots (on sale from Sportsgirl, not somewhere I usually shop) on the weekend so maybe I can work something out... or look very much like a vague pregnant woman with limited clothing resources/unusual fashion sense!

After that, I am going to The Carrington Hotel for their monthly movie night. Tonight it's 'How to Marry A Millionaire" (1953) and a dessert platter... mmmm! Doesn't get any better with Marilyn Monroe, Betty Grable and Lauren Bacall.


This is a favourite comedy of mine, especially as a teenage girl when I had to start wearing glasses. I loved the fact that Marilyn Monroe ends up wearing her glasses rather than being vain and blind in this movie - and finds true happiness with the RIGHT man.

Synopsis:
Nunnally Johnson's Broadway comedy was brought to the big screen by director Jean Negulesco, built around a trio of female stars, Lauren Bacall, Marilyn Monroe, and Betty Grable. They play friends who come up with a plan to find and marry rich men. They rent a lavish penthouse and use it as their launching pad to lure men with money in the bank. But each eventually finds that love is more important that material possessions, though it takes a while. One running joke has Monroe so insecure about her looks that she refuses to wear glasses, though this means she bumps into furniture and walls. The other has Bacall rejecting suitor Cameron Mitchell because he doesn't wear a tie, assuming this means he's low-class when, in fact, he's the Donald Trump of 1954. Pre-feminist comedy captures the mindset of an era in which women's identities were based on the men they married. It has its moments, but much of the humor seems dated, though its take on sexual politics is occasionally acute.

Marshall Fine

2 comments:

magikquilter said...

What did you wear in the end?

Kara said...

I wore my favourite 50's blue kiddy print skirt (its got retro animals all over), knee high beige boots and a top. Looked ok in the end! I was surprised the skirt went over my bump ok.