Friday, November 7, 2008

Babies and cars...

I've been a bit quiet the past few days - well, not blogging anyway. We have the dilemma of what to do with the fuel efficient, green, small car when there is a baby on the way. Baby car seats do not fit in our little Sirion. It has baffled me but I have finally gotten over it and now looking to get a 2nd car for our growing family.

We have held on for so long with just one tiny old car but it's not realistic with a baby on the way. Our house is nowhere near public transport so it means me driving Steven to the station at 5:30am then picking him up 7:30pm. Now, this could get difficult with the impending exhaustion of a newborn!

So... I am now trawling online car sites, reading reviews, doing research, etc. It is just mindblowing how much stuff is out there and where to start? I want a bigger car - something that I can use for my business, markets, buying fabrics, etc. That means a big boot or fold down area. By the time you add baby seat, baby, 3 wheeler stroller, dog - it's getting to be a chunky car!

Unfortunately neither of us are mechanical. So it's the private vs dealer 2nd hand dilemma, where to get anything we like checked, etc... and it's me doing it all this week! We have just over 8 weeks to go so I am really feeling it.

4 comments:

Em said...

Stay cool handbag Queen:) With number 4 on the way we have had to upgrade to a CHRYSLER VOYAGER - a huge people mover of a thing...... I told the girls I want a tshirt now that says 'Keep on Truckin' as there are days when I am quite the 'roady'. Fuel effiency is quite difficult and when I am not preggers I do try and walk to school, shops etc, but it is already 34 degrees here in Rocky and this little Tubby Lady needs her 'big rig'. keep on smiling:)

Kara said...

That would suit Rocky for sure! I have pulled my groin/ligaments getting in and out of our tiny car with my baby belly so am ready for a newer, bigger and better one!

thefrontroom said...

I totally get your dilemma. When I was pregnant, on my DUE DATE, our car at the time, a Jeep, caught on FIRE, while I was driving it no less. And then, since we had nothing to drive and I was NOT going to the hospital in a cab, we had to find a new one to buy, without any prior research or anything. It was a hectic week but the universe hooked us up with a honda cr-v that I LOVE and is pretty fuel efficient with lots of room, and the morning after we drove it home I went into labour. I hope you have better luck!

Kara said...

Wow, that's amazing! It looks like we are heading down the Nissan Xtrail path. I dragged Steven around dealerships with the baby carseat too... so funny! We are just getting the guts up to commit to such an expense. My little crappy car has served so well that it's hard to imagine going into debt - but I guess that's what kids do to you!